As the summer holidays come to an end and September approaches, this new month feels like the start of something new. September is the start of a new academic year and as I worked in education before I became a coach this month always has the flavour of a new beginning.
For many women in their fifties September is the time when our children embark on their journey to university. Their departure can leave us feeling empty and with a deep sense of loss. We wonder what to do with our lives now that we have more space for ourselves.
Like the change of seasons, change is a constant, but when change arrives it is not always welcomed or anticipated. Letting go of the old is part of a life transition and there will be a time when we are "cocooning." Cocooning isn't a dormant phase, but rather a phase of gathering new energy around us, like a space " in between." Eventually we feel ready to start our next new cycle/life phase.
- Venture into new territory - find a different route to work or discover a new walk in your local area
- Register for that course or evening class you have been thinking about for a while but have not got round to doing.
- Buy something in a new colour. A new scarf or lipstick will bring in fresh energy.
- Review your morning routine. Does it need a few tweaks e.g. a healthier breakfast or getting up half an hour earlier so you have more space for visualising/meditating/morning stretches.
Here are 3 questions you can ask yourself at the beginning of a new month:-
- What would I like to initiate this month?
- What needs to be brought back into balance? ( e..g finances, energy levels, quality time alone.)
- What do I want to have achieved by the end of this month?
Wishing you a wonderful September........